Sunday, February 27, 2011

Broken Telepathy...


When I said ‘I do’ to husband I am absolutely positive there was no “I promise to obey and/or have you enter me into triathlons” in those vows at all…  Brendon and two friends he works with enrolled themselves for triathlon.  For the last three weeks I have heard “you may need to be our third person, the runner”, my response was simple “ok let me know”.  It was not a hard request, if the other chick decided to pull out I would be asked to step in and be the runner.  Husband and Matt would do the other two codes.  If anyone knows my beloved they know he can be a little ‘vague’ at times, hence the nickname.  Well over those three weeks it was always a maybe, the other chick, from what I understood was still possibly doing the run.  February 26th, Friday I visited husband at work and I was asked if I was ready?  I believe I muddled my way through answering.  When we were having dinner that night I was asking the obvious questions; what time does it start? How far do I have to run?... will that is where it got sticky, the night before the triathlon ‘he’ tells me I am doing all three codes, swim, bike, run!  Aaaha well I have not swum like I was going to need to do since my Navy days.  You can only imagine the conversation we had… Did he not think to inform, oh no ‘husband’ thought I knew what was happening.  I guess telepathy is not my strong point! 

Saturday came and I was a nervous wreck, husband was up first, followed by myself and then Matt.  My goodness, the transition from swim to bike was fine but the bike to run I didn’t think my legs where even connected to my brain.  After finishing and having the down time I must say was a fantastic feeling!  Our team came 34th out of the forty and took us just over 2 hours.  Not a bad result considering I did no training and the heat at 2pm is incredible, 35 degrees plus!  You could feel the heat coming off the concrete as you cycle.  Following the race we found out we won a prize for coming 3rd out of the government departments.  But the best prize was the simple fact that I did not ache on Sunday, as I presumed I would!  I have been asked if I am willing to participate in the all female race, which is coming up and another lady asked if I am going to join the triathlon club???  I did suggest to husband it would be a great idea…

I was told it is an addictive sport I was a pessimist, but I understand now and although husband still owes me pearl earrings and he also understands there will be a lot of mileage (flogging a dead horse) due to not informing me until the night before, of the part I was to play in the team, BUT I may just join up to the club!  The question is do I tell him when I put his name down too??? 

1 comment: